13 June 2021

'The Last Letter from Your Lover' by Jojo Moyes book review

Front cover of 'The Last Letter from Your Lover' by Jojo Moyes next to a small dark green plant

With my blog becoming more and more books focused, I figured it was about time to move my book reviews over from my secondary blog to this one, and merge the two. I love writing about the books I've read, and then sharing the reviews on my Goodreads. It just feels right to have this change now - I'll still be talking about other bits and pieces, but you'll have all my reviews squashed in too.

I'm on a bit of a mission this year to clear out all the books that I've bought over the years and never read, and this is one that I've not picked up since buying back in 2017 I think! I read Me Before You a number of years ago, and found it an interesting (although very problematic) read and picked this up soon after. I can't say this was one I found very interesting, or really enjoyed at all.

Inside front page of 'The Last Letter from Your Lover' by Jojo Moyes with a small dark green plant balanced on top

The Last Letter from Your Lover is split across two timelines: in 2003 (the present), journalist Ellie finds old love letters in the library of the newspaper she works for, which she hopes to use in a feature to help her stalling career. The love letters belong (in part) to Jennifer, a woman living in the 60s. We travel back to Jennifer's time where she wakes from a coma after an accident, and eventually begins to piece together that she was having an affair whilst living unhappily in her marriage.

I found this such a dry read. I'm a big sucker for a good romance, but also for books that have some kind of pace. I felt frustrated every time it flicked back to Ellie's point of view because I wanted to know more about Jennifer's story. But then within Jennifer's story I spent most of the time feeling frustrated because of how slow her memory was in recovering, and because of how much miscommunication happened with her love affair. The ending seemed pretty unbelievable as well, and it really felt like a drag to get to the end. I gave this 1 star as I didn't really feel the romance in the modern half of the story, the older half was frustrating and slow, and I didn't get swept up in the writing at all.

Grey background with black writing that reads: "I was once told by someone wise that writing is perilous as you cannot always guarantee your words will be read in the spirit in which they were written" - 'The Last Letter from Your Lover' by Jojo Moyes


Follow me on Bloglovin Twitter Instagram Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment

I read each and every one of your comments, and really appreciate the time you've taken to add them! If you want or need a more immediate response then contact me through my twitter @stephhartley4. Thank you!