6 February 2017

Do I need to be rich to be a successful blogger?

Do I have to be rich to be a successful blogger? Nourish ME: www.nourishmeblog.co.uk

This is a question that really has been bothering me for quite some time now. It's also something that I've attempted to answer over and over again, with virtual scrawls over half of each draft. Sometimes it comes out more angry, sometimes it's more hopeful, but I've finally decided to sit down and put my pen to paper (sort of) and share my thoughts.

My Instagram feed is regularly full of Jo Malone perfumes, throwbacks to last summer's Santorini trip, Diptyque candles, and enough 'only worn once' clothes to fill a boat. But what if you simply can't afford to engage in any of that? Does it make you fall behind in the blogging world because you don't have the money to compete? I think the brutal answer - and the one that I've tried to avoid realising - is yes.




When I first started blogging, me photos were all taken on a grainy iPhone 4. And that wasn't even mine; I had to borrow my partner's or my sister's phone every time I wanted to take some photos. I had an old Samsung that could barely take pictures. Now, this wasn't forever ago - it was only 2 years. My photos simply had no chance of competing. Yes, my style was somewhat amiss (and I'm still working on it), but no matter how hard I tried, my photos just lacked the quality that others' had. 

Later on that year, I was 'lucky' enough to gain some inheritance, due to the result of a close family member's death. It wasn't a ridiculous sum by any means, but I paid off my student overdraft and bought the single-most expensive item I've ever purchased to this date: my Canon 1200D. It revolutionised my blog and Instagram. The quality of images I was able to take skyrocketed overnight, and  I my follower numbers increased massively with it. It really makes me question whether I would have given up with this blogging malarkey without it. I may have gotten too frustrated with using shoddy equipment, or I simply may have stuck at a tenth of the following I have now. Obviously it's not all about the numbers, etc, etc, but to not progress with my blog would have been demoralising, and without this piece of equipment I wouldn't have been able to be anywhere near as creative as I am now with my posts.

In a world that gets faster and faster all the time, the pressure to create high quality visuals is increasing. Microblogging is set to boost your Instagram by a mile in 2017. So it makes sense that creating good quality images is something we all need to be focusing on. But what if you don't have the means to? What if you're creating stunning flatlays, but only have a five-year old Samsung to take pictures of them on? You're being ignored, unfollowed and left undiscovered because people demand higher quality images nowadays.

Obviously phone cameras are getting better and better with each new release now, which has led many people to suggest that you don't need an SLR for your blog, you just need the newest iPhone. Which is all well and good if you can afford it. But again, it's still a question of money. Every single 'how to improve/increase followers on Instagram/your blog' post I've read recently has mentioned high quality images. It's forced at us from all sides. And now there's the expectation that a good blog will have good pictures. End of. It worries me how much incredible content I'm missing, or how many wonderful writers have given up on their blog because of this.

I know I've only focused on photography equipment and money up until now, but that's just a tiny fragment of it. Can you honestly say that you've never overspent on something 'for the blog'? What about that massive ASOS haul that you did just to get the extra views (and then sent back half of because it nearly bankrupted you)? Or the £40 candle that you won't ever burn because it's too expensive to use as anything other than a cute blog prop? I think we're all guilty of pushing the boat out a little too far to compete. 

Before you all go away like 'ugh she's clearly just bitter because she's poor', that's not true. This post isn't an attack or a critique, it's just a look at the way things really are. Yes, it'd be fab if the amount of money you have didn't affect your ability to succeed. But it's just simply not the case. It's the same with almost every other hobby out there, so I don't know why there's such a big taboo over talking about it within the world of blogging. Yes, you could be an amazing, naturally gifted tennis player, but if your only racket is ten years old, you can't afford lessons and you can only buy the cheapest trainers to practise in, then you're going to be at a loss. It's the same for all sports, things like sewing, video gaming, etc. It does come down to money.

So yes, I do think you need money to be a successful blogger, but no, it's not impossible to do on a tiny budget to start with. And there's no shame in it. What if you've worked really fucking hard to get that new Gucci bag, and then you're slammed for being 'unrelatable'? Blogging is seen as something 'anybody can do', and that's true. It's free to write down your thoughts and publish them in a blog, but when you really start getting into it, costs rack up, and the state of your finances does make a massive difference. 

What do you think?

Follow me on Bloglovin | Twitter | Instagram | Facebook | Youtube

16 comments:

  1. Hi Steph,

    Really interesting piece - I suppose blogging is set up to be a money-making opportunity nowadays, so unless you've got real persistence and commitment to build an audience over years, people do look for quick ways to get big, and a lot of the time that's through investment.

    Personally, I have to say I wouldn't be where I am now without my camera (Canon G7x) that was gifted to my one Christmas. The thing I probably spend the most money on though is travel and tickets - events make for interesting posts and I also get to network.

    I suppose if you're looking to become popular, you do have to put a bit of money in, but hopefully things work out and you can make money. After 3 years my blog makes a little money, and enough to support purchasing the odd ticket to an event or blog template!

    Besma | Curiously Conscious

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am lusting over the G7x SO much at the moment. I have to agree that having a nice camera has made a mammoth difference to my blog. I really want to be able to start going to more events soon as I think they're fab places to network. Fingers crossed!

      Steph x

      Delete
  2. I really enjoyed your post. I was gearing up to do a similar one, but with more of a focus on how there's a lot more going on behind each 'perfect' photo than it seems.

    Putting money in definitely seems to be the only way to get early success. I've spend a lot already just having my own domain - but I've not spent any on anything else... yet. It's unfair, but it does mean that people who want to pursue it seriously have a way of standing out from a sea of bloggers. I think putting a lot of time and effort in gets good results too, it's just not as immediate and it can be really disheartening in a world where we're used to almost instant gratification.

    Zoe Louise | http://bit.ly/zoelouiseblog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was lucky and managed to get my domain for 99p, but I know they can come with a much bigger price tag sometimes! I think progress is a lot slower without a big budget, and yes, it can be so disheartening to get behind because of it

      Steph x

      Delete
  3. I think money can aid with blogging but for me the the important thing is to really love blogging, be passionate about it and work hard. I used to buy beauty products for my blog but that wasn't my no 1 passion. You can be a successful blogger that is not based on consumerism.
    Great post Steph x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've definitely bought beauty products that I've not even been that excited about 'for the blog' and I feel so much happier with my content now that I'm not forcing myself to write posts on things like that. Thank you!

      Steph x

      Delete
  4. I loved this post, can relate to it so so much. I am always comparing myself to other bloggers and in 3 years of blogging I still don't feel I compare at all. My pictures have got so much better over the last month or so but there still awful compared to some. I just don't have the money to invest in a fancy camera or the newest iPhone, it's so hard sometimes always putting in your all into a post and it not getting noticed because the usual bloggers with amazing pictures and equipment are seen even though they're actual writing might not be amazing. I just think if your passionate about blogging then hopefully it will show through your writing and the right people will come back and won't care how good quality the images are and things like that :)

    Tiffany x www.foodandotherloves.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been blogging for 2 and a half years now, and I feel the same way. I hope that the content of posts makes a big difference too

      Steph x

      Delete
  5. This was such an interesting post. I don't think you have to be Rich, however your more likely to do well if you have good quality photos but content is equally important. Also primark will always be my place to go for blog props even if I was a millionaire xx

    http://thriftyvintagefashion.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Primark is a fab one for getting blog props, or Wilkos. I'm glad you enjoyed the post

      Steph x

      Delete
  6. I do sometimes look at the most popular bloggers, YouTubers and Instagrammers and think they all seem to be well off... It's almost like a lose/lose situation - you either have to spend money to keep up with beauty trends or have enough of an audience to send products (and even then people complain about there being 'too much PR!') My circumstances towards the end of last year meant I had a lot less disposable income than I was used to but I actually really enjoyed using the products I already have and talking about the well-loved items in my collection :) I do think having nice equipment makes the world of difference and not everyone can afford it

    Jasmine xx

    Jasmine Talks Beauty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does sometimes seem like a lose/lose situation! I think even if you can't afford the latest products, you can still do well fairly easily, but it is much harder without up to date equipment

      Steph x

      Delete
  7. I totally agree with you, I think you can have less money and be successful but I think if you do have a lot of money you're automatically more successful because you can have the latest stuff, plus you can probably afford to make blogging much more of a priority rather than worrying about paying your bills!

    Faye x
    i wish i could wink

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really think it's true! It's hard to justify spending lots of time blogging when you could be doing other things to make money to pay the bills

      Steph x

      Delete
  8. I don't think you have to be rich to be a successful blogger, though it helps. You can buy blogging props at discounted prices and you can search for free online resources - e.g. content generators, free blog template.

    Chichi
    chichi-writes.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it might speed up the process though. I've found that free blog templates etc, are good, but ones that cost money tend to be more professional looking and more complex

      Steph x

      Delete

I read each and every one of your comments, and really appreciate the time you've taken to add them! If you want or need a more immediate response then contact me through my twitter @stephhartley4. Thank you!