12 November 2015

Favourite Healthy Festive Snack | Simple Apple Tarts




Baking is probably my favourite form of stress relief. When I'm feeling really homesick, or just want to get rid of a bad mood I often turn to whipping something up in the kitchen, aka procrastibaking. I'm always on the lookout for something that will actually fit somewhere between "yummy, but filled with things that are bad for you" and, as my housemates often put it, "the crazy healthy shit that Steph makes and no one eats". This actually seemed to hit the spot! Totally suitable for vegans and anyone going dairy or nut free, these little apple tarts are cute and won't clog your arteries. 

So, here's what you need to make them:

2/3 cooking apples
Coconut palm sugar (or a sugar of your choice)
Filo pastry

And here's how you make them:

1.) Peel and chop the cooking apples. Place them in a pan with a tiny amount of water (about a centimetre at the bottom of the pan) and as much sugar as you wish. I like my apples quite sharp, but 150g is probably the maximum I would advise if you have a slightly sweeter tooth.
2.) Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
3.) Cut the filo pastry into squares of a suitable size to fill a muffin/cupcake tin with a little bit of overlap on the edge. Place one in each cupcake hold and then place another one on top at a 90 degree angle. 
4.) Cook the apples for 20 minutes and leave them to cool for 5-10. Then place a tablespoon full of apple in each pastry holder.
5.) Cook for 10 minutes. Leave to cool for a couple of minutes and then enjoy!

In my opinion cinnamon is like marmite: you either love it or you hate it. I hate it, BUT, if you're on the opposition as it were, you could add some cinnamon or nutmeg to the apples prior to putting everything in the oven to add a bit of winter heat!

What do you like to bake when you're feeling stressed?


6 comments:

  1. Looks yummy! I want to try this!!
    Xoxo,
    Love from www.trangscorner.com {a lifestyle, fashion, beauty, and food blog}

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you do if you try it out!

      Steph x

      Delete
  2. Love how easy these are!! Totally going to give them a try for thanksgiving... they look alot lighter than pie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're so yummy - I hope you enjoy them!

      Steph x

      Delete
  3. These look delicious! And so simple too :).

    Christie x
    http://www.christieslifestyle.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete

I read each and every one of your comments, and really appreciate the time you've taken to add them! If you want or need a more immediate response then contact me through my twitter @stephhartley4. Thank you!