18 July 2021

'They Both Die at the End' by Adam Silvera review

'They Both Die at the End' by Adam Silvera review

Last month I was determined to read some LGBT books for Pride month. I feel like I've diversified my reading quite a lot over the past few years, but I'm still dragging behind on LGBT reads. I kickstarted the month with They Both Die at the End, which I've wanted to read for the longest time.

This book follows the stories of two teenage boys: Rufus and Mateo, who both find out shortly after midnight that today will be the day they die. Set in a futuristic world where everyone who is going to die each day receives a call to tell them this will happen, society is set up around 'death days'. Rufus and Mateo connect on an app called 'Last Friend', where they talk about their lives up to this point and agree to meet up to share their death day. From there, the boys head out on an adventure neither of them could have predicted.

I LOVED this book. The fantasy element was great, and really interesting (I've been musing for weeks over whether I would prefer to know or not to know that I was going to die). The relationship between the boys felt realistic, and I feel like it's a real feat of writing strength to write a full sized novel set out over only one day. I thought the bi representation was great, and I loved seeing it in the book. It felt really refreshing to not have any of the characters question someone dating both men and women, as I seem to always see this used so that authors can declare the valid-ness of being bi. Here it was just shown explicitly from the start in all its validity.

I totally ignored the clue in the title for the book, and maintained unnecessary hope throughout the book, so I spent about an hour crying towards the end of it. But again it was just such good writing that made me feel attached to these characters who I only saw for a day of their lives. I'd really recommend this for YA fans looking to read more romance books, or for an introduction to a really light level of fantasy. I gave the book 5 stars.

Follow me on Bloglovin Twitter Instagram Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment

I read each and every one of your comments, and really appreciate the time you've taken to add them! If you want or need a more immediate response then contact me through my twitter @stephhartley4. Thank you!