8 July 2018

Turning 24, getting promoted, and some June favourites

Turning 24, getting promoted, and some June favourites

June was a pretty epic month if I'm honest, and I can't imagine having ended the first half of 2018 in a better way. The month got kickstarted with having my dad's family over for a birthday barbecue in the new house. It's the first time I've hosted something like this, and it was hella stressful but also made for some incredible memories.

I celebrated my 24th birthday on 4th June, and it was made 100 times better by my sister coming up as a total surprise. We spent the day with my mum eating all my favourite foods, aka dreamy. I felt truly special on my birthday, even more so because my boyfriend had arranged a special weekend away just afterwards. I didn't know where we were going right up until we almost got there, but the surprise was four days away to visit my sister! I really miss her now that we live a few hours apart, and he knows that I do, so I honestly cannot even think of a more thoughtful gift. 

Next up I ran my first ever real 5K raise for the Bone Cancer Research Trust and I'm so happy to say that I've raised almost £900! I've got a whole post on it here, chatting about my fundraising efforts and what else I want to do to support this amazing cause.

And finally, on the same day a couple of weeks ago I got promoted and insured on my boyfriend's car. I'm now an Assistant Editor at the publishing company I work for and to say that I'm over the moon would be an understatement. I celebrated with my first (nerve-wracking) drive post-test. I feel so lucky to have had both these opportunities, and I'm hoping that as I work on both throughout July I'll feel more secure and ready to tackle the world.

Turning 24, getting promoted, and some June favourites

It's time to quickly go over all the things that I've been absolutely loving this month, kicking things off with beauty:

LUSH's tea tree toner water has been an absolute life saver in this heat. I spritz it on after taking my makeup off before I get into bed and it's just the most refreshing thing in the world. It also helps that this takes down any redness in my spots, so when I wake up in the morning things are looking a little more manageable.

Also on the topic of this lengthy-ass heatwave, I've been using the Sleepy Head balm by Cooper's Apothecary. Filled with lavender oil, frankincense, hemp oil and shea butter, you rub this on your pressure points (temples and wrists) to help you get to sleep a little easier. I find the act of doing this such a great piece of self-care for just before bed time.

And finally, we have the heat-resistant (thank god) Supercat liner from Soap & Glory. I've got a whole post on why this (and a few other S&G makeup bits) is so great, but in effect, this pen liner is easy to use, doesn't smudge, creates a good dark black line and doesn't sweat off in this heat. Perf. 

Turning 24, getting promoted, and some June favourites

And then let's crack on to lifestyle. First up are a few pieces just in the photo at the top. My pink fluffy sliders from Primark are something that I always thought I'd hate but they've changed my life. We all need a pair to slip on to pad around the house in and for a couple of pounds these were cute and just great for a summertime alternative to slippers.

I've been trying to make our new house a bit more of a home recently. From doing ten times more chores than I've ever done before, to keeping an eye out for cute homeware, I've been all over it. I picked up the cutest little plant from Next for £10 and I've actually managed not to kill it so far. It's quite large as succulents go, but just adds so much to my little office room. It's (hopefully) the first of many that I'm going to scatter around the house as time goes on.

I've loved chatting about books and TV more in my recent favourites posts. If you've been following me on Twitter, you'll know that Love Island is something I've been totally absorbed by every evening. For books, Must Try Harder by Paula McGuire has been my favourite read of the month. It's all about one woman's successful battle against her anxiety and I've got a full review of it here. As well as this, I've been really enjoying dipping in and out of Rupi Kaur's 'The Sun and Her Flowers'; I'm always amazed how she can squash so much feeling into just a few words.

What were you loving throughout June?

Follow me on Bloglovin | Twitter | Instagram | Youtube | Facebook

7 comments:

  1. Well done on almost raising £900 and running 5k, thats amazing. Congratulations on being promoted as well!

    emjbarker.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm usually such a quitter, so I'm proud of staying on track and actually doing the race

      Steph x

      Delete
  2. Well done on your promotion - it is highly deserved! And well done on the 5k, that's such a good cause and a good amount to have raised as well :) Tania Michele xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Tania! It was a good month hehe

      Steph x

      Delete
  3. Anonymous18/7/18 15:00

    I am SO proud of you hun - you are absolutely smashing it at the moment, and you have achieved so much this year. It's amazing! x www.aimeeraindropwrites.co.uk x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely post - you absolutely killed it last month, wow! Definitely want to try out the Sleepy Head balm, cos it sounds lovely. Hope July is going just as well for you as June! 💛

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! The balm is great, and so soothing for when you need that little something extra to help you drift off

      Steph x

      Delete

I read each and every one of your comments, and really appreciate the time you've taken to add them! If you want or need a more immediate response then contact me through my twitter @stephhartley4. Thank you!