11 January 2017

10 Budget-Friendly Hobbies to Start in 2017

10 budget-friendly hobbies that you should try in 2017. Nourish ME: www.nourishmeblog.co.uk

10 budget-friendly hobbies that you should try in 2017. Nourish ME: www.nourishmeblog.co.uk

10 budget-friendly hobbies that you should try in 2017. Nourish ME: www.nourishmeblog.co.uk
There's so much 'New Year New Me' stuff floating about the internet right now that I find pretty demoralising. For starters, I don't want a new me. I want to improve the old me. Trying to recreate myself in someone else's image, or start again from scratch isn't going to work. How am I meant to get rid of all of my past experiences and turn myself into a completely different person? I just can't. So, a lot of my resolutions involve challenges that I'm placing for myself, and include continuing or starting up a few hobbies that I want to pursue this year. Here's my list of 10 hobbies you could start in 2017 too that won't break the bank:

1.) Learn a new language. Yes, this sounds bloody expensive, but have you heard of a gorgeous little app called Duolingo? It basically lets you learn a language completely free of charge. You're not just stuck to translating text either. It involves listening to speech and typing it out both in your language and the one you're learning, mini vocab tests where you pair words up, and tests for your pronunciation, amongst other things. It also updates you each time you become one percent more fluent and you can add it to your LinkedIn profile. (This isn't a #spon by the way, I just love the app).

2.) Start puzzling. I know this sounds super lame, but I find doing puzzles so cathartic. The act of sorting all of the pieces out and building a fuller picture gradually helps me to completely chill out.

3.) Get involved with mindfulness colouring. This is basically my favourite trend, ever. I've got a little collection of colouring books now and filling them in makes me feel so creative. I'm not brilliant at anything arty, but I LOVE doing this, especially in my new Wuthering Heights colouring book.

4.) Help out the local wildlife. I've kick-started this with having a bird-feeder in my garden (that and the food cost me about £3 in total). Plant some things, help out with fundraising for wildlife charities, or even volunteer at a local rehab centre for injured wildlife. This is such a nice idea for a hobby and I really want to get more involved.

5.) Yoga. There's this weird perception that you need to be a white, thin, rich woman to do yoga, but it has benefits for everyone, and you don't need a huge budget to do it. Yoga with Adriene YouTube videos are where it's at for me, but if you don't enjoy her methods as a teacher then there's a whole world of yoga YouTube videos out there. I bought a £5 yoga mat to got started and I haven't paid a penny since then whilst doing yoga for the past two years.

6.) Start the 1001 books challenge. There's a list of 1001 books to read before you die. I reckon I've probably read ten. You can buy the book which has the list in or find it for free online and get cracking.

7.) Do some creative journalling. I've got the 'Start Where You Are' journal and it's fab for completing each night before sleep. It contains a whole range of creative ways to think about things. Alternatively, you could start your own bullet journal, or use something like a 'Wreck This Journal' for a bit of fun. 

8.) Pinterest DIYS. I have a whole Pinterest board of these waiting for me to try, but I just keep forgetting to find the time for them. Spruce up your home with some cheap DIYs, or even just get crafty.

9.) Blogging. You all knew this was coming, didn't you? Although blogging can be costly, you don't *have* to spend anything on it. Write about what you love, take pictures if you want, and share your thoughts with the world.

10.) Re-learn the art of letter writing. This one is something I want to keep up in 2017. Snail mail is so cute, and I love getting it through my post box. Pick up a writing set in the sales, or just use a pen and some blank paper and let the people you love know they're being thought of!

So there we have it, 10 hobbies for 2017 that won't bankrupt you. Are you starting any new hobbies this year?

Follow me on Bloglovin | Twitter | Instagram | Youtube | Facebook

12 comments:

  1. I started using duolingo about a month ago and it's great. I'm doing Italian. I also wanna colour in my colouring book more! Great list :)

    Samantha Series

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Duolingo is my favourite app of all time! They have such a cool range of languages to learn on there

      Steph x

      Delete
  2. I love yoga with adriene - I've been to a load of actual classes but just much prefer doing it at home with a youtube video! I did some needle felting last weekend actually and it was really good!

    Jasmin Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Adriene is so funny - I love all her little quirks. I really want to start doing yoga at the gym to motivate me to do it more often

      Steph x

      Delete
  3. I love these! They sound like great ideas, I love the creative side to it all :) I've been drawing a bit lately and looking into ideas to create designs for my wedding dress and the only thing that costs is time! Will definitely be trying out some of your ideas on here! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to explore my creative side much more this year. Aww it would be amazing to design your own wedding dress!

      Steph x

      Delete
  4. Thank you for reminding me of Duolingo! I've been meaning to download the app for ages but always forgot the name... I really want to learn Spanish and Italian :)x

    Anu♡ | Based On | Bloglovin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate it when I find a good app and cant remember the name, it's happened to me so often! I'm glad I could remind you

      Steph x

      Delete
  5. There are some really lovely ideas here and I actually think the idea of supporting local wildlife is such a simple but important thing to do which can be done in a variety of ways! Really nice post!xx

    Honeypot Blogs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've started off with a bird feeder in the garden, but I really want to start doing more!

      Steph x

      Delete
  6. I love duolingo as well. :) Need get back on it though, I've had a little break. :/ Also in the app field I would suggest app called Peak. It has a selection of games that improve your brain in different ways, f.e. mental agility, language, memory etc. It has in-app purchases, but on some phones it let's you to play 4 games a day all 24hours. Also not sponsored :D I just love THIS app. :D

    I did jumped finally on the colouring book trend, it was fun at first and I was very excited for the Evenings when I would do it, but now somehow I don't enjoy it that much. :/

    And very nice list! Very doable and down to Earth, love it! :)
    Madara
    Lookforsmile.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a break from it for a few months, and I'm so glad that I've started to get back into it. Oooh I've not heard of Peak, I'll have to have a look

      Steph x

      Delete

I read each and every one of your comments, and really appreciate the time you've taken to add them! If you want or need a more immediate response then contact me through my twitter @stephhartley4. Thank you!