7 January 2017

Dealing with the post-Christmas dip

Dealing with a post-Christmas mental health dip. Nourish ME: www.nourishmeblog.co.uk

I've had this post scheduled for a while, but I didn't  consider how much I might need this as well as others might. I see so many blogmas posts to do with the hype of Christmas, and how excited people are. There also seemed to be a whole tonne out there this year talking about the fact that it's okay to feel like your mental health is taking its toll on you when everyone else is excited. And it was so fab to see that. But talking about feeling low, or down post-Christmas? Nada. Zip. Nil. 

Right now I really need that kind of post. It is a hard time of year, and I really think it's overlooked. Everybody comments on how shitty it is to be going be to work, but usually comment that they're glad Christmas is over. And when you say you're upset about it? Laughs, sniggers or a little eye-roll that just screams *good lord they're pathetic*. 

But do you know what? It is okay to be sad that Christmas is over. It's a time when you get to relax, spend time with your family, eat all your favourite foods and take some time out for yourself. It's natural to feel upset that it's gone. On top of this, there's this ultimate pressure to create your 'New Year new you'. Whether that's getting a better job, a new figure, or some other extreme task, there's this expectation that we're all going to be driving towards the 'best version of ourselves'.

Dealing with a post-Christmas mental health dip. Nourish ME: www.nourishmeblog.co.uk

January is the month when my mental health is always at its worst. I feel lonely, cold, the weather is dismal, I have no money and I find it so hard to completely refresh as the New Year hits. But, I know there are things that I can do to help myself, even if they seem hard.

Christmas is a season of giving, and that's one of my favourite parts of it. Everyone seems so much kinder and more patient (although I'm sure if I spoke to someone who works in retail they'd dispute this, hehe), and I miss that when January hits. Doing a little bit extra to help people out during January is a fab way to extend that Christmas spirit. I've been donating unwanted good to charity shops and buying books from them too. Having a browse around charity shops is so nice in January when you don't have much money left. I simply couldn't afford to buy brand new books, and they make me so happy, so popping into a charity shop and picking a new-ish one up is something I love doing. 

By time January rolls around, everybody seems a bit done with it getting dark early in the evenings. It was cute whilst we wanted to get all cosy with our fairy lights and films and feel hygge, but now we've taken those things away and it just feels dreary. So what if we bring those back? There's no rules against making your room look cutesy with fairy lights all year round, or taking time out to watch a good film snuggled up under a cosy throw. 

Dealing with a post-Christmas mental health dip. Nourish ME: www.nourishmeblog.co.uk

Even though January is meant to be a time for being extra active; working all hours of the day and night to secure your goals, easing yourself back into the swing of things is totally acceptable. Keeping up a self-care routine and taking a few hours out to just chill and do what you want to do each evening is something that's really important. Whether it's colouring, watching Netflix, playing a video game or even just catching up on Youtube videos; whatever you do to chill out, make time for that. 

Loneliness is the thing that hits me hardest at this time. I love having family around over the festive period, especially as I don't get to see them too often now that I've moved away from my home town. Visiting family and spending quality time with them is something you could set up to do in January, and it would give you something to look forward to. My sister is going back to uni (3 hours away from me) tomorrow, and so I'm going to schedule a trip in my diary to visit her soon. This way I have something to actually be excited about in the next few weeks, and it'll hopefully motivate me to keep going with everything I need to do. 

If you're feeling really down, it might also be time to evaluate your mental health. SAD, or seasonal affective disorder, affects more of us than we think, and looking into whether you might be impacted is definitely worth it. We've got a SAD lamp in our home, and even though I don't suffer from the illness, I find it helps my mood as well as my partner's. Aside from that, if you're really struggling, you can always call the Samaritans, or visit your GP and discuss an action plan with them. 

So in essence, avoid isolating yourself, treat yo-self and take time out to rest up. We're all in this horrible phase of the year together, and I don't know about you, but I can't wait to see some leaves coming back on the trees.

Follow me on Bloglovin | Twitter | Instagram | Facebook | Youtube

7 comments:

  1. Love this. Thank you! x

    moremindfulyou.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved this post Steph, completely agree that January is just the worst month ever. I think setting goals is really important as it can keep you motivated during a difficult time of year.

    The Makeup Directory

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! January is just awful, I canNOT wait for it to be over!

      Steph x

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There's absolutely nothing wrong with having fairy lights up all year round - Christmas gives you an opportunity to stock up! I put some new ones around my bed the night before I went back to work and it's such a cosy and delightful place to be now.

    Hope you're making plenty of time for yourself during this dreary month.

    Lis / last year's girl x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I;m starting to think there isn't. I really want to put some around my bed, at the moment they're just in the spare room one. I think I might have to

      Steph x

      Delete

I read each and every one of your comments, and really appreciate the time you've taken to add them! If you want or need a more immediate response then contact me through my twitter @stephhartley4. Thank you!