2 September 2014

Healthy Spaghetti Bolognese Recipe

Healthy Spaghetti Bolognese recipe. Nourish ME: www.nourishmeblog.co.uk

Healthy Spaghetti Bolognese recipe. Nourish ME: www.nourishmeblog.co.uk

Healthy Spaghetti Bolognese recipe. Nourish ME: www.nourishmeblog.co.uk

Spaghetti bolognese is one of my number one go-to comfort food dishes when I fancy making something filling and easy to cook. It takes so little time, and it's something that I feel like I can adapt every single time I make it. This version is a little less fatty due to the turkey mince, and absolutely crammed full of veggies. I find this such a great meal for slyly popping in extra veg without people noticing how much is in it, so it's great for fussy little ones.


Ingredients (makes 2 servings):

200g turkey mince
1 tin chopped tomatoes
1 large carrot
70g fresh spinach
1 red onion
3 handfuls wholewheat pasta
1 clove garlic
1 teaspoon dried parsley 
Dried oregano
Dried basil
Ground black pepper
Extra virgin olive oil

Method: 

1.) Peel and finely chop the onion and garlic. Top and tail the carrot, peel and grate. 

2.) Chop the turkey mince up. It has a tendency to stick together whilst cooking and form clumps in the sauce. This is a key difference I've found between cooking beef/lamb mince and turkey mince, as the former separates easily during cooking.

3.) Start cooking the pasta.

4.) Put a teaspoon of extra virgin olive oil into a frying pan and heat. 

5.) Place the mince and onions in the frying pan. Cook until the mince is browned. 

6.) Add the chopped tomatoes, carrot, ground black pepper and herbs. Leave to simmer for ten minutes. 

7.) Add the spinach to the sauce and mix.

8.) Drain the pasta and dish it up, topped with the sauce. 


What's your favourite way to make spaghetti bolognese? 



2 comments:

  1. This is one of my favourite meals too! But I've never thought of adding spinach before! I think I'll try it next time as I like to maximise the amount of greens I take in where possible haha xx

    Aisling | rosysmiles.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great - the strong flavour of spinach is largely muted, so you get extra nutrients without completely changing the taste. I always pop some in if I've got some that needs using up :) xx

      Delete

I read each and every one of your comments, and really appreciate the time you've taken to add them! If you want or need a more immediate response then contact me through my twitter @stephhartley4. Thank you!