20 June 2016

10 Interview Tips for Anxiety Sufferers

 Top 10 interview tips for those who suffer from anxiety. Nourish ME: www.nourishmeblog.co.uk

Top 10 interview tips for those who suffer from anxiety. Nourish ME: www.nourishmeblog.co.uk

If you suffer from anxiety, you'll know just how crippling it can truly be, especially in high stress situations. I personally find that my anxiety is worst when I'm forced to leave the house and in social situations in which I don't know the other individual(s). Obviously this isn't ideal for interviews. However, I've had to do so many since I graduated last June that I'm *sort of* coming to terms with them, and finding ways in which I can reduce the impact of my anxiety on their outcome. Today I'm going to share these with you, and I really hope they provide some comfort!

Remember to take everything I say here with a pinch of salt: these tips do wonders for my pre-interview anxiety, but if they don't help you, that's totally okay. Even though they can be really painful (I've been tempted to cancel my attendance more than once), sadly the more you do the more you become accustomed to what works for you. I've even made you guys a little video with my top five tips here:


Without further ado, here are my ten interview tips for people who suffer from anxiety:

1.) Prepare everything the night before. If your clothes need ironing, do it now. Plan your outfit, pack your bag and have everything you need sorted. Then, if the worst happens and you miss your alarm, or hit snooze too many times, everything is ready for you to grab in a rush.

2.) Create a route to your interview destination. I'm always endlessly worried about turning up late to an interview, and this basically results in me turning up a sweaty mess (grim). Creating a route on Google Maps, or something similar, the night before means you know exactly where you're going and how long it ought to take.

3.) Leave early. This follows on from tip two - if there's a traffic jam, an accident, or your train is delayed and you haven't left any time for maneouvre, then your anxiety is probably going to skyrocket. Leave some leeway and you're sure to turn up on time. 

4.) Arrive punctually. This might seem to be the exact same thing as the last point, but it's not. You should really try not to turn up too early, as it can disturb your interviewer from their work, and it looks a tad unprofessional. If you are early, pop to a nearby coffee shop, bring a book and calm down a little before heading over.

5.) Save a contact number for the company/interviewer into your phone and write it down on a piece of paper. Although the internet is pretty much everywhere nowadays, if something goes wrong, and you're going to be late, it's helpful to have a contact number handy so that you can warn the interviewer.

6.) Make sure you have everything you need with you. I would recommend bringing some ID and your National Insurance card as well as any other paperwork they have asked for. Alongside this, a pen, some paper and a bottle of water are also really handy. Again, sort this out the night before so that you don't have to stress about finding it on the day.

7.) Have some 'me time' the night before. For me, this involves using a face mask, watching Netflix and changing into my PJs early, but whatever floats your boat is all good. If pampering is your thing, have a peek at my top 5 anti-anxiety beauty products for some inspiration.

8.) Look up common questions for the type of interview you are heading to and practice them. Write out answers, or practice how you would verbally respond. Then *fingers crossed* not all of the questions fired at you will shock you.

9.) Keep your body language positive. Yes, you may be a wreck on the inside, but smiling and giving a firm handshake go a mile. Ultimately, the interviewer just wants to see if you are appropriate for their job, and it never hurts to be friendly.

10.) Finally, remember to breathe. Do a couple of breathing exercises before you go in, and these will help you to reach a place of calm. 

I really hope these tips were useful - what would you add to the list?


2 comments:

  1. The 8th point is something I swear by! I went to a job interview recently and before it I read a heck load of blog posts and articles about what kinds of questions are commonly asked and how to answer them, and also about what you should ask the interviewer.

    www.saarasofia.com | Bloglovin’ 

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really want to start doing more of it too!

      Steph x

      Delete

I read each and every one of your comments, and really appreciate the time you've taken to add them! If you want or need a more immediate response then contact me through my twitter @stephhartley4. Thank you!